Friday 13 May 2011

Baaaaaaaaaarf!

Trigger Warning for Abortion Debate:

I wanted to write a quick post about this a couple of days ago when it happened, but I got busy and was away from the computer. So, "Respect For Life Day", huh? Well that sounds nice and all. I mean, I respect life. I've never killed another human being. I don't eat much meat, and the meat I do eat is raised in great conditions, because I'm very careful about that. I don't kill bugs if I don't have to. I respect the lifestyles and choices of others, because everyone is entitled to autonomy over themselves. So, Respect For Life Day? Sounds like something I could get behind. Let's see what it's all about.

Oh. Oh wait. I see. I see what's going on here. A throwaway line or two about the elderly and the disabled, and then right into the anti-abortion, pro-life rhetoric. And what an occasion this was! It's been 42 yeas since Canada legalized abortion, and the National March For Life doesn't want you to fucking forget that for a second. These jackasses manage to get about 12,000 like-minded haters together to march on Parliament Hill every year. They clearly love life. And they love babies. Presumably, they love Jesus, too. (Sorry, that might be a bit of a shot at Christians, and if you're of the faith and you don't support pro-lifers, I apologize). But, from here, it just looks like another get together of people who art more righteous than thou

These folks hate abortion, that's right. It's a sin. They have all kind of facts about how abortion hurts women, hurts families, hurts the economy, hurts Jesus, etc., but I'm sick of linking to them, and you've heard all of this crap before. So, what about the women, though? What if they need an abortion? What if they've been raped? What if they don't have the money for this child? Or the space? What if they have career plans? Life plans? Hey, the National March For Shut Up And Have Babies doesn't give two shits about that. Jesus said have that kid, and then you can figure out the rest, because as we all know, God helps those who help themselves, right? Not that they'll step in and help all the women who need assistance raising children in an overburdened system, with no access to universal daycare, no chance to go back to school and better themselves, MRA groups telling deadbeat dads how to get out of child support and rising costs of food and necessities. Nope they've got more abortions to go prevent, more women to "help" and babies to "save".

The crux of it is that it's a right, a right to choose that every woman should have. Safe, legal abortion should be a no-brainer.... and looking at who we have in office, that should be right up their fucking alley. The no-brainer thing, that is (see what I did there?).

If you want to e-mail Jim Watson, and tell him what's what, that you don't think it was a good idea to make an anti-choice day, then you'll be in good company. I'll be doing it, too.

UPDATE: Monday, May 16, 2011

Jim Watson strikes back! But says nothing. Film at never!

No comments:

Post a Comment