Friday 20 May 2011

It's Okay To Be Takei

So, I was doing some research on Tennessee's new "Don't Say Gay" bill. What utter bullshit. Now, I know how right wing conservative Tennessee is, but just ignoring homosexuality in the hopes that it'll go away? This is garbage of the stinkiest kind. The bill has already passed in the senate, and is fast on its' way to becoming law. Now, American politics isn't my forte, being a Canadian and all, but this is just too dumb for words. Apparently, George Takei, better known as Mr. Sulu on the original Star Trek and gay rights activist thinks so, too. He's fighting the bill at all stages and has lent his name to a cause that makes the bill seem every bit as stupid as it is.

 


I think this is awesome. He makes me smile. It's definitely okay to be Takei.   


In completely unrelated news, several cities around Canada are starting a new anti-rape campaign complete with ads called the "Don't Be That Guy" campaign. The campaign started in Edmonton, and is focused on taking the blame and onus off of women and letting men know it's NOT okay to sexually assault women. It's about fucking time that the constant victim-blaming stopped and men are forced to own up to their own violent behavior. I hope that this campaign produces some positive results, and that men think about their actions and make some positive changes. I won't hold my breath however, as I suspect that the MRA backlash will be fierce. But, at least it's not another "Watch Your Drink, Watch Your Friends, Watch Your Back" message giving women the impossible to complete checklist of what-to-do-to-not-get-raped. At the very least the Don't Be That Guy campaign seems to be a small step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment